Monday, April 18, 2011

brokenness

This past weekend was fun. Up until I broke my pinky that is! Adya came up for the night on Saturday, but had to leave on Sunday morning. We had so much fun while she was here. We watched some of the Snerts tournament, and watched a play that Allison Warden and Jack Dalton put on, Time Immemorial is what it is called, and if you get a chance to watch it, please do. It is a very good play.

I had planned on packing up more of my place, but the activities of the festival were calling my name, so I was at the hotel most of the weekend. I didn't participate, but I did help when help was needed. I had a blast though being around all the people that showed up to see what was going on at the hotel, and out on the ice where a lot of the activities took place.

The play was very good. Allison and Jack did an amazing job performing the play. I now have a different view on how our past was, and am starting to understand why we as a People are so broken. I hope more people attened the play, they will have a better understanding of our history. The end of the play really hit home with me because my cousin had committed suicide last year. And seeing how he had chosen to end his life was very heart breaking to me. I got a chance to meet both actors and got to greive a little bit more for my cousin. I don't think anyone will be fully healed from a suicide. Or a suicide attempt. I know about depression, and suicidal thoughts. There were a few times in my life that I tried to take my own life. So I understand where people are coming from when they say they are depressed, or have those thoughts. Being in the field of work that I am in, my experience is invaluable because I know what it is like to be stuck in an alcoholic fog and a drug induced "coma". I know how hard it is to openly say, "I want to quit drinking", and "I don't like this way of living anymore. But I just can't stop". The journey to sobriaty is very difficult, but manageable. I want to encourage anyone who wants to take that first step into sobriety to do so. It's not such a long fall then you might think.

My pinky on the other hand, is a pain in the ass. It is very difficult to type, and starts to throb once I type for too long. The way I broke my pinky was 5 huge guys tried to get me, so I put my mad ninja skills on them and sent them all to Anchorage on the medivac plane, and all I got was a broken pinky. How freakin awesome am I? I'd say, very freakin awesome!!!

1 comment: